Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Activism

So far this has been one of my favorite topics to talk about in my blog. While I was in high school I was exposed to a lot of activism and feminism. As I mentioned in my blog Undocumented and Unafraid, I revealed I never spoke about my legal status until a friend of mine helped me understand I shouldn't be afraid or even treat it like it wasn't important. After I, I guess, came to terms of my legal status and accepted it as a part of me because it does make me who I am, I began to speak up more about it. I also began to encourage other undocumented students to pursue college and be unafraid. While I volunteered at the boys and girls club, I spoke to little kids and told them if me, a person who is undocumented, can go to college they can as well. I told them that I'm not the smartest person in the word and you don't need to be "smart" to go to college. as long as you give it your all, you will make it. every time I go back to my hometown I go to the boys and girls club and one time I had the chance to talk to parents. a lot of them had concerns of their kids leaving to college hundred of miles away and I told them not to worry because they were probably raised by really good parents and that will always stick with them but they must allow their kids to grow. I just love talking to people about these issue, I love helping them and encouraging them to go to college. I don't know if I'm considered an activist but I will keep on doing what I do, even if its not much. one day I will get the chance to work in my community and help out as many people as I can from my community, since that is my goal. when it was time for me to do an internship for my major I decided to do it at CLIC in the family department because I wanted to learn every aspect of family law. through family law in CLIC I got to learn about professionalism and even though I didn't encounter any undocumented people, I still got the chance to work with the community of Chico. hopefully one day I get the chance to do more than just talk to people, not saying that it isn't enough even though some people might see it that way. my dream career is to work in the state government and once I'm there I want to be able to do more for undocumented students and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment